Skin lesions appear on most bodies over time, and as with any blemish, many people would rather not have to go through life with these often-unsightly growths on their skin. At The Aesthetic Center at Eye Centers of Florida, we provide procedures that smooth the skin and remove any unwanted skin conditions that distract from your natural beauty.
When it comes to lesion removal, we provide a variety of treatment options so that we can take care of your skin lesions while leaving no evidence.
What Is Aesthetic Lesion Removal?
Many people will develop various lesions on their skin: skin tags, warts, moles, and more. Depending on the lesion’s severity, size, and location, it’s common to want the lesion gone and to have your clear skin back. That’s where our lesion removal aesthetic surgery comes in.
Our Board Certified Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeon, Allison Bertram Yee, M.D., is a cosmetic surgery expert with years of experience to her name. During your free skincare evaluation, we’ll help you determine which procedure or custom cosmetic treatment Dr. Yee can use to return your skin to its flawless appearance.
There are a few different ways to remove a lesion, but which procedure we choose together will depend largely on the type and location of the blemish.
What Types of Skin Lesions Can Be Removed with Aesthetic Surgery?
Various lesions can develop on the skin; in fact, nearly any growth on the skin can be referred to as a lesion, and can potentially be treated with cosmetic surgery.
Some of the most common skin lesions include:
- Skin tags, or small protrusions of excess skin
- Warts, thicker and hardened sections of skin caused by one of the forms of the human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Moles, dark growths on the skin that typically develop in childhood
- Cysts, non-cancerous lumps that contain liquids or semi-liquids that can become infected
- Precancerous growths
- Most discolored or abnormally-raised sections of skin
- Growths resulting from chronic skin conditions
Types of Lesion Removal
We’ll craft your aesthetic surgery plan based on the particulars of your case — the type of lesion, its location, your skin’s health and thickness, and your cosmetic goals. A few of the surgical lesion removal options available can be found below.
- Complete excision: a skin biopsy where your lesion is removed in its entirety. After anesthesia is applied, we carefully take out the lesion and close the wound.
- Partial excision: also called a “shave biopsy”, the lesion is removed down to where it is flush with the skin.
- Curettage: this is similar to complete excision, except it involves a “scooping” mechanism. It’s useful for lesions which are already distinct from the skin around them.
- Heat treatments: heat is applied to the base of the lesion to both cut it off and cauterize it to prevent bleeding.
- Cryotherapy: liquid nitrogen is applied to the lesion to freeze and kill its cells. Following cryotherapy, the lesion will naturally fall off.
Non-Surgical Lesion Removal
For some smaller lesions or blemishes, surgery may not be necessary for removal, and one of the following treatments will suffice. These treatments can also supplement surgical removal.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Laser: concentrated light rays directly treat deeper layers of skin and address the “roots” of several types of lesions.
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing with Active FX™ and Deep FX™: a CO2 laser smooths out the skin and diminishes or removes minor lesions.
- GentleWaves® LED Photomodulation: lights are used to activate chemical production in your cells which can eliminate certain lesions.
- Topical treatments: some lesions can be treated with ointments, gels, and creams.
Lesion Removal at The Aesthetic Center
Skin lesions can be one of the most frustrating cosmetic issues for our patients. It’s difficult to grapple with having an unsightly growth on your body, and often, they seem to appear without rhyme or reason.
At The Aesthetic Center, we want to help you reclaim your skin and return it to a younger, healthier state. Dr. Yee and her team can help you select the ideal aesthetic surgery or treatment for your specific lesion, and will remove the lesion with the utmost care and attention paid to results.